How do I apply for a variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals?

An applicant must obtain a letter of denial which states why the proposal does not comply with the provisions of the USDO. The applicant must then submit the appropriate application forms based on the type of relief or variance from the code which they are seeking. This can be an area variance, use variance, interpretation, or a substitution of nonconforming uses. The application forms are available on the city website, here, and contain filing instructions and a list of required documents. The fee schedule can be found here. The application fee may be submitted via check or money order, made out to the City of Albany Treasurer. It is recommended that you contact the Department of Planning and Development prior to submitting an application.

Show All Answers

1. What is my zoning district?
2. How do I know if a property is zoned for what I would like to do?
3. Where are cannabis dispensaries allowed and what's required to operate one?
4. What approvals do I need to open a new business?
5. My bank (or licensing agency) says I need a letter verifying my property’s zoning. How do I get one?
6. How do I see if I’m located in a Historic District?
7. Do I need approvals to do exterior work on my property if it’s located in a Historic District?
8. How do I apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Resources Commission?
9. Are there restrictions on the size of structures and where they can be placed?
10. How do I consolidate multiple parcels into one?
11. Are there regulations for signs?
12. Are there regulations for fences?
13. Can I build a carport, garage or other accessory structure on my property?
14. Can I install a driveway or parking area?
15. Can I add more residential units to my building?
16. Can I run a business out of my home?
17. Can I install a pool?
18. How do I obtain a Café Permit?
19. How do I apply for a variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals?
20. How do I submit for Planning Board Review?
21. How do I know if I need a building permit?