News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/1/2021 12:52:00 PM to 5/17/2021 12:00:04 AM.

News Flash

Join the APD Hiring Process

Posted on: February 24, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Written Examination


There is a police officer exam scheduled for Saturday, May 15, 2021. More information.

To become a police officer in the City of Albany, you must first take the required New York State Civil Service Exam for Police Officers. A Guide to the Written Test for the Entry-Level Police Officers Series: The New York State Department of Civil Service has developed this test guide to familiarize you with the written test for the Police Officers Series. This test guide provides a general description of the subject areas which will be tested and an explanation of the different types of questions that will be presented.

How To Take A NYS Civil Service Test

The New York State Department of Civil Service has developed this guide to give you some general information on written tests for State civil service examinations prepared by the New York State Department of Civil Service.

Understanding and Interpreting Written Material

Civil Service Test Taking Tips

Albany Police Test Prep Course

APD offers Civil Service test prep and physical agility test prep course for interested candidates. Further information will be provided when available. Please check back.


APD candidates must be at least nineteen (19) years of age on or before May 15, 2021 to be admitted to the written test. Eligibility for appointment as a police officer begins when the candidate reaches age 20. Candidates who reach their 35th birthday on or before the date of the written examination are not qualified. EXCEPTION: Candidates may have a period of military duty or terminal leave up to six (6) years.

Effective July 24, 2013, a valid NYS Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.

By the date of appointment, candidates must be a high school graduate or hold an equivalency diploma issued by an educational department of any state in the US or hold a comparable diploma issued by any commonwealth, territory or possession of the US or by the Canal Zone or hold a report from the United States Armed Forces certifying successful completion of the tests of general educational development, high school level.

Facebook Twitter Email