CONTACT: Ryan Murray, Public Relations Coordinator
Albany, NY – The City of Albany hosts the 74th Annual Albany Tulip Festival presented by Citizens Bank on Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8 in Washington Park.
The Tulip Festival is Albany’s signature spring event featuring annual traditions rooted in the City’s rich Dutch heritage. The event includes nearly one hundred artisans selling their handmade crafts, a fine arts show, delicious food, the KidZone family fun destination, two stages of world-class live entertainment and more than 187,000 tulips in 150 different varieties. It all takes place in historic Washington Park, the 81-acre “crown jewel” of the City.
“For 74 years, the Albany Tulip Festival has delighted visitors with the vibrant colors of spring, and showcased the economic vitality of the Capital Region,” said Ted Smith, President Upstate New York. “We’re proud to support events such as this that strengthen our communities and help them reach their potential.”
Since Mayor Erastus Corning II read the first Tulip Festival Proclamation on May 14, 1949, the Mother’s Day weekend celebration has grown into one of the Northeast’s biggest and most beloved yearly events. Featuring area vendors, businesses, community organizations and original local artists on every stage, the Tulip Festival continues to honor Albany’s four centuries of history while looking ahead to its future. As always, this event is free and open to the public.
For more information, call 518.434.2032, visit www.albanyevents.org or follow @AlbanyNYevents on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. #TulipFest2022. Read on for the full schedule of events or view online at www.albanyevents.org.
SATURDAY, MAY 7
YOGA Fest! Sponsored by The Hot Yoga Spot
Saturday and Sunday 9am -10am on the Main Stage!
TULIP QUEEN CORONATION CEREMONY
Washington Park Lakehouse Stage
Nominations accepted through April 5. Visit www.albanytulipqueen.com to nominate!
- 11:30a.m. –The Mendelssohn club A local institution for over a century, this acclaimed male chorus is the longest continuously performing arts group in the Capital Region.
- 11:45 a.m. – Tulip Queen Procession (Begins at formal Tulip Beds by Moses Statue)
- 2021 Tulip Queen Ashanti Bishop, Mayor Kathy Sheehan and the Dutch Settlers Society lead the 2022 Tulip Queen finalists to the Lakehouse Stage.
- 12:00 p.m. - Tulip Queen Coronation (Lakehouse Stage)
Mayor Sheehan and MC Chad O’Hara of B95.5 crown the 74th Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Fest weekend.
Washington Park Parade Grounds
Media sponsor: 102.7 WEQX
- 1:30p.m. – Bad Mothers: The dirty-rock band from Albany NY heralded for their consistently hard-hitting performances. Recently signed to Black Country Rock Media.
- 3:00p.m. – TBA
- 4:30p.m. – PARQUET COURTS: Parquet Courts’ thought-provoking rock is dancing to a new tune. Sympathy For Life finds the Brooklyn band at both their most instinctive and electronic, spinning their bewitching, psychedelic storytelling into fresh territory, yet maintaining their unique identity. Built largely from improvised jams, inspired by New York clubs, Primal Scream and Pink Floyd and produced in league with Rodaidh McDonald (The xx, Hot Chip, David Byrne), Sympathy For Life was always destined to be dancey. Unlike its globally adored predecessor, 2018’s Wide Awake! – a Top 30 hit here and an album of the year everywhere from Spin and The Skinny to NME and Australia’s Double J – the focus fell on grooves rather than rhythm.
LOCAL 518 STAGE
Washington Park Lakehouse Stage
Media sponsor: Exit 97.7/106.1
- 1:00p.m. – Hanzolo: is a 7-piece band from Upstate New York, toting an explosive and emotional sound that mixes soul, jazz, rock, and funk. Their songs are dance-ably fun with thoughtful lyrics, backed up by a bright horn section. HANZOLO recently won the EQX Battle of the Bands and opened Albany’s annual Pearlpalooza music festival. They have opened for bands like Lawrence, Wild Belle, and *repeat repeat.
- 2:15p.m. – Canella: Canella brings a latin spice to her indie folk-rock style. With some pop influences, her songwriting is full of intricate melodies that tell stories of existentialism and share intimate thoughts. Born and raised in Colombia, but listening to 70’s and 90’s rock, Canella dove deeper into her solo songwriting career, utilizing her influences from former Albany local band Waitress, and implementing these elements into her more personal sound.
- 3:30p.m. – B. Chaps and Freedom Stratton: Freedom Stratton: Freedom Stratton does it all he's a singer, dancer, actor and model! B. Chaps: Vibes and good times from Albany, NY! Hip Hop/alternative with a dose of jazz.
- 4:45p.m. – E.R.I.E: came on to the Albany, NY scene in 2020, the week a global pandemic began to rear its ugly head. What began as a passion project developed while singer/songwriter TJ Foster was unexpectedly laid up in a hospital bed for three days, has turned into a fully-formed quartet, winning over audiences with their catchy songs and energetic live performances.
SUNDAY, MAY 8
- 12:00 p.m. – 23rd Annual Capital Regions Best Mom
Washington Park Lakehouse Stage
B95.5’s Joe Condon and local officials recognize the Capital Region’s most outstanding moms. Presented by St. Peter’s Health Partners, Times Union & B95.5. Nominations open April 9 at www.timesunion.com/capitalregionbestmom
Media sponsors: 1023 Kiss FM
- 1:30p.m. – Taina Asili: Taína Asili is a New York-based Puerto Rican singer, filmmaker and activist carrying on the tradition of her ancestors, fusing past and present struggles into one soulful and defiant voice. Her music combines powerful vocals carrying themes of hope and liberation with an energetic fusion of Afro-Latin, reggae and rock. Asili’s music offers a sound that spans continents, exuding strength of Spirit, inspiring audiences at venues across the globe – From Carnegie Hall to the Women’s March on Washington to the main stage of San Francisco Pride. With an energetic horn section and infectious rhythms, Asili’s music urges people to get on their feet and dance to the rhythm of rebellion.
- 3:00p.m. – DJ TGIF: THE HYP3ST DJ PERIOD! Heightening Your Party 3xperience!
- 4:45p.m. – Powerhouse Funk Band: If you want feet that stay on the dance floor, electricity and excitement in the room, and feel-good fire deep in your soul, and the terrific sounds of excellent music in your veins, the POWERHOUSE is the band for you! Soul music, R&B, neo soul, jazz, funk, and everything else in-between, Powerhouse is a captivating band indeed. Their success is not just in the types of music that they play, but in the way they play: soulful, intense, energetic, passionate, and powerful.
LOCAL 518 STAGE
Media sponsor: Exit 97.7/106.1
- 1:00p.m. – Kyla Silk: R&B singer Kyla Silk has a soulful voice reminiscent of the OGs Carole King and Janis Joplin, as well as modern influences like Alicia Keys.
- 2:15p.m. – SIDE - B: Four-piece alternative rock band from Upstate New York consisting of drummer Dylan Travison, bassist Eric Mitchell, guitarist AJ Horton, and vocalist Ian Justino.
- 3:30p.m. – Kieran Rhodes: Kieran Rhodes is an accomplished performer, songwriter, pianist and vocalist. He currently studies songwriting and piano at the esteemed Berklee College of Music. Kieran is from Burnt Hills, New York. As a songwriter, he has released multiple songs under his name which can be found on all streaming platforms. Kieran also has experience writing songs for television. His most recent project being a co-writer on a song for The Food Network's "Restaurant Impossible."
- 4:45p.m. – Playin’ with Fire: is a vibrant and powerful Performance Act capturing seamless tributes to every song that audiences love. Led by an irresistible, energetic female vocalist and dynamic male singer/guitarist, the band handles music from Rock, Pop, Country and Blues with astonishing accuracy. Crowd pleasing originals, harmonies and engaging personalities make the Playin' with Fire Band a sure "fire" hit for any event. The 5 person band includes professional musicians (drums, bass, lead guitar) who have performed with major recording artists across the nation. Kim was also a 2021 Thomas Edison Music Award Nominee for Songwriter of the Year.
Presented by Price Chopper & Market 32.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
Enjoy pony rides, a rock climbing wall, facepainting, music, games and more fun for the whole family!
PRICE CHOPPER KIDZONE STAGE
Continuous entertainment for all ages, all weekend long!
- ***Saturday only*** 2:00p.m. - Park Playhouse: Washington Park’s beloved theater group offers exciting sneak previews of their 2022 musical productions!
- *** Sunday only*** 2:00p.m. - Artpartners: this community-based dance training program presents a stellar performance bridging classic and modern styles.
- 1:15p.m., 4:00p.m. –Melvin the Magnificent: is a professional magician played by Joe Goode, his shows are action packed, interactive, and sure to bring huge laughs from the entire audience.
- 2:45p.m., 4:45p.m. – Andy “The Music Man” Morse: a well-versed children's musician renowned for delighting audiences of all ages through sing-a-longs, dancing, play-acting and storytelling.
- 3:30p.m., 5:30p.m. - Ruth Pelham of the Music Mobile: a Capital Region musical treasure, exuberantly promoting her mission of building peaceful communities through original songs for all ages.
TULIP WEEK EVENTS
Monday May 2th – May 6th 2pm & 5:00p.m., Thursday May 9th 1p.m.,3p.m. 5p.m., Friday May 10th 10a.m.,1p.m., 5:30p.m.
Washington Park tulip beds
Learn more about the vast variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest with City Gardener Jena Commerford. Free. Spaces are limited and reservations are required; call 518.434.2032 to reserve your place. (Weather permitting).
Citizens, Discover Albany and DGS present the 518 Tulip Tracker!
Follow the flowers progress in the city starting April 12th!
FRIDAY, MAY 6
- 11:30 a.m. – noon, outside Albany City Hall Amy Heebner performs a special Tulip Festival musical program on Albany City Hall’s historic 1927 carillon, a unique instrument consisting of 49 bells that range in size from 27 to 11,200 pounds.
- 12p.m., State & Lodge Streets The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 74 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan’s Tulip Festival opening proclamation and a procession with the Dutch Settlers Society (in full traditional Dutch dress), and the 2022 Tulip Queen finalists.
TULIP FESTIVAL LUNCHEON
- 12:30 p.m. Immediately following the street scrubbing, the Tulip Festival Luncheon is a farewell and thank you to 2021 Albany Tulip Queen Ashanti Bishop and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Court’s educational programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region. Tickets are required contact: 518-573-0051 email@example.com to purchase.
SATURDAY, MAY 7th
ROYAL TULIP BALL
- 6:30p.m., Kenmore Ballroom An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court. Proceeds benefit the Capital City Fund. Tickets are required; to purchase, contact Sarah Kampf at 518.209.1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
TULIP BULB AND DIG SALE
- May 28th: Tulip Dig Begins 9 a.m. at the Moses Fountain. The City will provide tools, but please bring a garden fork (NOT a shovel) if you have one. Bulbs are $10 for a bag of 30 – 5 bags per person. The tulip dig is limited strictly to designated beds, under the direction of park staff and volunteers and ends promptly at 12:00 p.m..
- May 29th: Tulip Sale Begins 9 a.m. at the Lakehouse. The remaining bulbs are first come/ first serve and are $10 for a bag of 30 – 2 bags per person. The sale is open while supplies last.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
FREE CDTA shuttle runs continuously to Washington Park from Eagle Street Garage (at Eagle & Madison Ave) & Elk Street Parking Lot (at Elk & Hawk Streets) throughout the festival.
Handicap parking available at Albany Medical Center lot at Robin & Morris Streets. A free, accessible CDTA shuttle runs to and from the Madison & New Scotland entrance to the park throughout the festival.
Find more parking options at www.parkalbany.com.
This event is produced with the help of hundreds of volunteers. Sign up to be a part of this great experience by visiting www.albanyevents.org/volunteer or calling 518.434.5416.
Presented by generous event sponsors:
Citizens, Price Chopper & Market 32, CDTA, DeCrescente, Heineken, Amstel Light , Fruit Smash, Voodoo Ranger, Albany Parking Authority, Spectrum News 1, Wild Bill’s Soda, DGS, Alpin Haus, The Hilton Garden Inn, Blooms by Marie & The Hot Yoga Spot
WEQX, Exit 97.7/106.1, B95.5, Kiss 102.3, Albany.com, Discover Albany, NYS Music, Spot 518, Spiral Design, Radio Radio X, Nippertown & WVCR 88.3 The Saint
Special ground rules in effect:
- No alcohol outside of designated beer garden area
- No glass containers
- No animals or pets (excluding ADA-defined service animals)
- No recording of performances
All City of Albany parks are now tobacco-free.
# # #