Albany Community Police Advisory Committee
In the fall of 2009 the Albany Police Department administrative staff recognized the need for a philosophical change in the department fulfilling its mission to serve the citizens of Albany. With the combined perceptions of an unsafe city, and disconnect between citizens and the police, it was determined that the APD and City alike would be better served by instituting a community based policing philosophy.
The APD sought assistance from the Common Council in appointing members to a Community Policing Advisory Committee (Committee) to ensure that all 15 wards of the City were equally represented. Each Common Council Member supplied names of appointees to sit on this Committee. The Committee was charged with reviewing and addressing items that would potentially reinvigorate the relationship between the residents of our community and the APD.
The APD recognizes the importance of individual dignity, mutual respect, trust, community safety, and quality of life as components of positive citizenry and police interactions. Encouraging citizen and APD participation in committee activities, provides a forum for discussion of community healing and community building. The committee also strives to promote partnerships between community organizations, businesses, and the APD. These partnerships serve as a catalyst for organizational changes within the APD and supporting the community policing model of law enforcement in the City of Albany.
- March 21, 2023 Meeting Agenda
- ACPAC has membership vacancies! Please inquire here.
- Follow us on Facebook
- ACPAC meetings are open to the public; all are welcome.
- Meetings are held virtually from 6-8:30pm on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Meetings are livestreamed on the ACPAC Facebook Page
Please check-in regularly for information regarding upcoming events and informational sessions.
The ACPAC is committed to improving the relationship between the residents of the City of Albany and the Albany Police Department by ensuring the philosophy of Community Policing is the basis of all policy and procedure of the APD. The committee will facilitate communication between the community, APD and the Common Council.
- Support the Community Policing Model of Law Enforcement within the APD.
- Educate the public about the Community Policing Model, how it effects policy and procedure within the APD and citizen participation in community policing.
- Provide a forum for discussions of any issues or topics that relate to practices or procedures of the APD or its members.
- Ensure the Common Council and appointing authorities are informed about the concerns of the community about APD policy, procedures and public safety issues.
The ACPAC consists of 25 members:
- One member appointed by the Mayor
- One member appointed by each member of the Albany Common Council
- One member appointed by the President of the Albany Common Council
- Four At-Large members
- The Chief of the Albany Police Department and three additional members of the APD appointed by the Chief.
|1st - Hon. Sonya Frederick||Jennifer Guy||Email Ward 1|
|2nd - Hon. Derek Johnson||Danielle Hille||Email Ward 2|
|3rd - Hon. Joyce Love||Brian McCullough||Email Ward 3|
|4th - Hon. Kelly Kimbrough||Vacant||Email Ward 4|
|5th - Hon. Jamel Robinson||Vacant||Email Ward 5|
|6th - Hon. Gabriella Romero||Vacant||Email Ward 6|
|7th - Hon. Sergio Adams||Vacant||Email Ward 7|
|8th - Hon. Jack Flynn||Craig Waltz Jr.||Email Ward 8|
|9th - Hon. Meghan Keegan||Amy Whitman||Email Ward 9|
|10th - Hon. Owusu Anane||Rachele Patterson, Vice Chair||Email Ward 10|
|11th - Hon. Alfredo Balarin||Barry Walton, Chair||Email Ward 11|
|12th - Hon. E. Hyde Clarke||Lynn Aronowitz||Email Ward 12|
|13th - Hon. Ginnie Farrell||Vacant||Email Ward 13|
|14th - Hon. Deborah Zamer||Marsha Penrose||Email Ward 14|
|15th - Hon. Tom Hoey||Tyler Bellick||Email Ward 15|
|Member at Large||Carol June-Washington||Email at Large1|
|Member at Large||Vacant||Email at Large 2|
|Member at Large||Vacant||Email at Large 3|
|Member at Large||Vacant||Email at Large4|
|Mayor's Appointee||Tandra Lagrone||Email Mayor Rep|
|Common Council President's Appointee||Vacant||Email Common Council Rep|
|Albany Police Department Representative||Chief Eric Hawkins||Email APD 1|
|Albany Police Department Representative||Lieutenant Daniel Johnsen||Email APD 2|
|Albany Police Department Representative||Sergeant Benjamin Peterson||Email APD 3|
|Albany Police Department Representative||Officer Steven Smith||Email APD 4|
ACPAC is actively looking to fill the following vacancies. If you are interested in becoming a member of ACPAC please email the Membership Chair, Marsha Penrose.
- Ward 3 Representative
- Ward 5 Representative
- Ward 13 Representative
- At Large Members
If you are unsure of which ward you reside in, please click here.